Household Guide to City of Zephyrhills Illicit Discharges
In 1998, the City of Zephyrhills enacted a Stormwater Management Ordinance, which makes it illegal to discharge pollutants to the storm sewer systems or to City waters.
The Stormwater Management Program is required by the Clean Water Act. It is designed to help maintain and protect the quality of the water in our streams, lakes and rivers.
What does the Program prohibit?
- Directly discharging anything that is not composed entirely of stormwater into the storm sewer system or into City waters is prohibited.
- Connecting any structure that carries any liquid other than stormwater to the storm sewer or to City waters also is prohibited.
You can report illicit discharges to the City of Zephyrhills at 813.780.0000, after hours call Police Department 813.780.0050.
What is the penalty for a violation?
Anyone who knowingly violates tha City's Stormwater Ordinance can be found guilty of a Class I misdemeanor. Inadvertent or unknowing violations can result in a civil penalty - a fine of $250.00 to $1,000.00.
What does the Ordinance allow?
Discharges from several everyday activities are allowed to flow into storm sewers or City waters.
- Draining the water from a swimming pool, but only after the water has been dechlorinated. (usually 2 to 3 days after you last added chlorine-use a pool test kit to be sure.)
- Washing cars only at home.
- Watering lawns and irrigating landscapes.
- Flushing water lines.
- Condensation from air conditioners.
- Runoff from springs or drinking water sources.
- Discharges from fighting fires.
- Discharges that are allowed under the terms of a Federal or State permit.
However, if any of these activities are found to be causing water pollution the City will ask that the activity be stopped or be conducted differently so that our waters are not polluted.
To learn more about creating and maintaining attractive, healthy landscapes that protect Florida's natural resources, contact: Pasco County Extension (352) 521.4288 or visit their website at: http://pasco.ifas.ufl.edu
or Visit the Florida Yards & Neighborhoods web site at: http://www.hort.ufl.edu.fyn/
Remember: Keeping it clean and green is all about us!
Stormwater Information for General Public