Enter Title


Definitions of Solid Waste Terms


"Apartment" shall mean a building having four (4) or more living units. Individual living units within motels and hotels that contain kitchens shall for the purpose of this ordinance be considered as apartments. 

"Business Units" shall include each business within an office complex, shopping center, medical or professional offices. Each separate person, firm, or activity operating within a single building or sharing the same space shall be considered a separate business unit for the purpose of billing, The requirement for an occupational license shall be used to define a business unit. 

"Commercial"  shall include all commercial establishments including but not limited to motels, hotels, overnight trailer parks, office buildings, restaurants and all other places not classes as residential. 

"Container"  means the common twenty-gallon through thirty-two gallon plastic or galvanized iron garbage can with well-fitting lid; a plastic bag of similar capacity. 

"Construction and Demolition Debris" , aka "C & D", means discarded materials generally considered to be not water soluble and non-hazardous in nature, including but not limited to steel, glass, brick, concrete, asphalt materials, pipe, gypsum wallboard, and lumber, from the construction of destruction of a structure as part of a construction or demolition project or from the renovation of a structure, including such debris from construction of structures at a site remote from the construction or destruction project. 

"Curbside collection" refers to collection from that area within unobstructed arms-reach of the public street or alley. Containers placed behind any structure such as a fence or wall or placed in a vault below the ground surface are not included in this definition and shall be excluded from curbside service. 

"Department"  shall mean the city's sanitation department.

"Garbage" shall mean every refuse accumulation of animal, fruit or vegetable matter that attends the preparation, use, cooking and dealing in, or storage of edibles, and other matter, of any nature whatsoever, which is subject to decay, putrefication and the generation of noxious or offensive gases or odors, or which, during or after decay, may serve as breeding or feeding material for flies or other germ carrying insects, or any container of material defined herein.

"Hazardous Waste" means a solid waste regulated by the Department as a hazardous waste pursuant to Chapter 62-730, F.A.C. Materials or combinations of materials which require special management techniques because of their acute and/or chronic effects on air and water quality; on fish, wildfire, or other biota*; and on the health and welfare of the public. These materials include, but are not limited to, volatile, chemical, biological, explosive, flammable, radioactive, and toxic materials. * flora (plant life) and fauna (animal life) of a region. 

"Industrial Waste" shall mean the waste products of canneries, slaughterhouses or packing plants, condemned food products, agricultural waste products, other solid waste products generated from industrial processing or manufacturing. 

"Junk" shall mean any tangible item such as furniture, appliances, bicycles, motor vehicles or smaller property not having a useful purpose to the owner or abandoned by the owner and not included within the definitions of garbage, construction waste, yard trash, industrial waste or rubbish. 

"Private Sanitation Service" any person, firm or corporation involved in the business of collection ans disposal of solid waste. 

"Recyclable Materials" materials separated, at the point of generation by the generator or its agent, and donated or sold materials to include, but not limted to, newsprint, cardboard, aluminum, glass, plastic, and ferrous metals; recyclable materials shall not include, however, any materials once placed in a permitted refuse bin. 

"Refuse Bin" a large metal box for commercial solid waste or recyclable material, usually of the two (2) cubic yard to eight (8) cubic yard size, and roll-off boxes of larger capacities, lifted mechanically bu trucks in order to empty. 

"Residence"  aka "residential" shall mean and refer to single-family dwellings, duplexes, triplexes, and apartments, and all other living units not coming within the other definitions set out herein. Each living unit of a duplex or triplex and each apartment shall be deemed a separate residence. 

"Residential Collection"  shall mean the departmental collection service for residences. 

"Residential Unit" shall include each single family home, and each unit within a duplex, triplex, multiple family strcuture, condominium, mobile home park or apartment. 

"Rubbish" is trash such as paper, cardboard, cans, glass, plastics, and similar material. 

"Solid Waste" a general term that includes the specific terms "garbage", "yard trash", "rubbish", "industrial wastes", "construction wastes", and "hazardous waste", but excludes all recyclables materials as herein defined. 

"Special Waste" means solid wastes that can require special handling and management, including but not limited to, white goods, waste tires, used oil, lead-acid batteries, construction and demolition debris, ash residue, yard trash, biological wastes and mercury-containing devices and lamps.

"Transfer Station" means a facility primary purpose of which is to store or hold solid waste for transport to a processing or disposal facility.

"White Goods" means inoperative and discarded refrigerators, ranges, washers, water heaters, freezers, and other similar domestic and commercial large appliances. 

"Yard trash"  means the vegetative matter resulting from landscaping maintenance or land clearing operations and includes items such as leaves, grass clipping, palm fronds, limbs, hedge trimming, and shrubbery.

Copyright 2017 by City of Zephyrhills   |  Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use  |     |  Login